Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Wood Wednesday: Curbside Correction

Several months ago my friend Susan called. This is the same Susan who inspired the hooded towels from last week. Well Susan called and said that she had seen an old dresser at the curb near the new fire station. I have only lived here 2 years and needed directions to the “new” fire station.

So my sweet husband went with me and we rescued this dresser.

100_4502
It was in really bad shape. Someone had tried to fix it and had done a very bad job. I thought that I might have to just use it for parts.

100_4500
100_4504
All of the drawers were there and the boxes were in pretty good shape with dove tail joints. There was no hardware.
100_4501The dresser had a veneer finish that was cracked and falling apart.  100_4503But it had this really unique cabinet front. I did the usual sanding and filling and priming and painting. First I thought I wanted it a pale gray. Then I remembered that I had some really cool drawer pulls...somewhere. I just had to find them. Success!
dresser 002Aren’t they pretty. They look just like Easter eggs. So I repainted the dresser in the turquoise green of the knobs. I cannot tell you the paint color because I just mixed until I got what I wanted. I am an artist and I can’t seem to paint straight from the can. I had enough knobs to put the flowers on the drawers and the plaid on the doors.
dresser 006
dresser 018
dresser 013
dresser 010 
I added the plaid to the front of the doors and wallpaper inside the drawers.
dresser 019
The drawers did not slide easily. I sanded the edges of the drawers and the inside runners. Then I read ( I’m sorry, I need to start writing these references down, but did not) to use soap. I knew this but I had never tried it. Well guess what? It really works.I took a dried up bar of hotel soap from my guest bathroom. I rubbed it on all the wood that touches when moving the drawers. AMAZING!!!!!!! The drawers now move easily.dresser 017 
I distressed the edges before adding the sealer coat. I am really proud of this piece. I plan on listing it on craigslist first and then take it to the consignment store.
dresser 016
My hummingbird painting looks beautiful with it. Maybe I could sell them together.

This is where I party:
Photobucket    

 CreativeShareWednesdays Blog Button Show and Tell Green          http://www.thethriftyhome.com  Make it Yours @ My Backyard Eden     Dragonfly Designs  Hump Day link  Passionately Artistic  Photobucket  Photobucket Catch a Glimpse ButtonSuzy's Artsy Craftsy Sitcom It's a Keeper Furniture Feature Fridays



50 comments:

  1. Speechless! Well no I am not. This is freakin fantastic! There is not one thing on this piece I would change. From the color right down to the knobs and decorative painting. Loving it!!

    Deb @ dejarenew

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow.. that turned out beautiful. love the color and the knobs...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful piece! I love the color and the knobs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can tell I am going to enjoy your blog already! I love seeing old pieces of furniture being restored. You did an amazing job! The hummingbird painting goes perfect with your new piece too. Excited to read more post.

    Following you from Whistling Wednesday and would love for you to check out my blog and return the follow. Thanks and Happy Wednesday! Julie

    stlavonlady

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this, great colour! The knobs are just fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that is totally impressive! I can't believe what you did with that little orphaned dresser! The color, knobs and everything else is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. the colors are adorable! i love the deisgn, everything about it! you really saved this one- nice job. thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks amazing!!

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the color and it looks so much like Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I so love a good curbside find and those knobs are CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! I'm hopping over from Mom's of All Trades.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ah-mazing. This is one of my faves! a true trash to treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so happy you were able to save that super awesome piece! Love the color and knobs you chose...

    Take care,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful! Nice rescue! I am always amazed when I read about curbside finds...where I live, if you leave a piece of furniture on the curb you get a fine from the waste management department! I am so glad you saved this piece from the dump. You've created a real treasure!
    Best Wishes and Blessings,
    Amanda - One Girl in Pink

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW. What a change!!! This turned out so great. I love the color! :)

    PS: I'm doing my first every giveaway on my blog and I'd love for you to come enter! Check it out: http://mygirlishwhims.blogspot.com/2011/02/my-first-giveaway-and-introducing-your.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. what a great rescue on such a cute piece!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely lovely! So inspiring! New follower!
    Glad I stopped by from the blog hop!
    If you have time, hop over and visit me:
    http://stylendecordeals.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. This turned out great. I love the pattern on the doors. Great job

    ReplyDelete
  19. Melanie, I LOVE the color and the pattern on the front! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow. Beautiful! The hardware looks great with the paint color. And thanks for the soap tip...that's great information!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. new follower from blog hop! Visit me at www.lifesgristle.blogspot.com

    Marcy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, I wouldn't have thought it was good for anything but kindling until you got your hands on it! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Amazing!What a vision you had for this poor little dresser...how happy it is now.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am so impressed with the vision you had for this piece. I wouldn't have seen the potential. Thanks for linking up to the Winter Blues Wednesday party.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The title of this post could be "Hope For The Hopeless Chest" and boy did you pull this off and then some.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! You certainly had a vision. This turned out beautiful!~Ames

    ReplyDelete
  27. That is a gorgeous piece of furniture now! Love that color. Thanks for joining JFF this week.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow. Just a beautiful transformation. The knobs and color are perfect together!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love the color you mixed, and cannot believe that little cutie was on the side of the road! Great find.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This transformation is amazing. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow this is amazing, I love seeing this before and after...your dresser is precious and I love that you found it curbside...your knobs are perfect for it :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Amazing restoration. I love the color too. YOu are very talented. ~~Sherry~~

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a wonderful rescue. It was a lot of work but sure is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  34. You did a fantastic job of restoring and updating that dresser! I love the color and the knobs are too cute!

    ~ Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  35. That looks fabulous! Awesome job! Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wowza! So happy to see a throw-away piece getting a lovely new life!

    ReplyDelete
  37. That turned out fantastic! I love the soap bar idea, thanks for sharing that. I'm restoring a very old dresser right now and will definitely be heeding your advice. Check it out in a few days if you want to at

    LittleMissPennyWenny.blogspot.com

    Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  38. So beautiful! I love what you did with it. Really a 180 turnaround!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Amazing, I heART! You found a treasure!
    You did a brilliant job.It's a Keeper!

    http://yvettesblogs.com/2011/03/02/spiced-peach-muffins/

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hoppin on over on Sunday morning from Az. and Paisley Passions Blog Hop, and look forward to hopping into you again sometime soon.


    Leila
    http://azsbsm.wordpress.com/
    Mondays Menu

    http://azfillerpack.wordpress.com/
    The Bag of Business Blog Hop

    ReplyDelete
  41. Shoot, I forgot to mention how beautiful the dresser is, you did an excellent job and if I lived closer, I would certainly buy it from you.

    ReplyDelete
  42. That is so cute and I love to use knobs that are different on different sections of a piece.

    ReplyDelete
  43. So fun!! The colors are great...and so are the knobs!!

    Thanks so much for linking to "20 Below Thursday"! :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. What a great rescue transformation and the color is spot on for my house, lol! Visiting today from Junkin Finds Friday at A La Carte!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hello! Saw you at Better After today. I LOVE THIS! The color is amazing! GREAT job!

    ~ www.billiemonster.com ~

    ReplyDelete
  46. I love this. I have a cabinet that has doors which criss-cross like this and I love that which paint with the blue. I may have to try those colors on that cabinet.

    ReplyDelete