Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Wood Wednesday: Bookcase Bench

I thought that I had taken a before picture, but I can’t find it.

This project started as a twin headboard. I did find a picture on the internet.
headboard

This was not any great piece of furniture when it was new. The whole thing is laminated fiberboard and I found it in the trash. I did like the fact that it had the bookcase. So I cut it off just below the bookcase. I roughed up the finish, primed it and painted it black.


Because it was particle board, I did not trust it to be a sturdy bench. I cut a 1x12 down to fit on the bottom. Before I attached that board to the bookcase, I cut four 1 1/2” pieces off of a closet pole to make little feet. I attached the feet to the board and the the board to the cut off headboard. Did you get all of that?

bookcase bench 018
I also added a piece of luann to the back for more stabilization.

Here is what it looked like all black:
bookcase bench 005 s s

It is: 41-1/2”L x 8-1/2 “W x 15 “H. I did not really know how to paint it. I did not want to limit the design by making it too wild, but it looked so dull this way.  My neighbor suggested painting letters on it. It is a bookcase. I do not have the fancy machine that cuts letters or stencils, so I just printed the alphabet using several different fonts. Then I used scissors to cut stencils out of the printout. I taped them to the bookcase and rolled over it with white paint. When the paint dried, almost, I sanded it to distress it some.

Here is the final result:
 bookcase bench 013
bookcase bench 007     bookcase bench 010


I think it turned out really cute.

This is where I party!
POV {Shelves} 
Photobucket Photobuckethttp://www.thethriftyhome.comShow and Tell Green
Transformation Thursday  Make it Yours @ My Backyard Eden


 Furniture Feature Friday Photobucket

21 comments:

  1. Love the bookcase, waht a cute idea! Following you from the Whistling Wednesday Blog Hop:)

    Come see us at:
    laughingwiththeharrises.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it, way to go! Thanks for joining in on Whistling Wednesday!New follower!

    Moms of All Trades

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there,
    I am your newest follower from the blog hops. Loving the look of your blog; I shall enjoy visiting often. I would love if you came by and visited/followed me when you get a moment.

    Thanks so much.
    http://www.thethingswefindinside.com/
    ~Tami Marie~

    ReplyDelete
  4. So kid-friendly and cute!! Love it!

    Thanks so much for linking to "20 Below Thursday"! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cute!! I am your newest follower from the blog hop. Come check me out if you get a chance.

    Noplacelikehomeally.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it, that would be perfect in my kids' room! New follower from the Mingle With Us hop!
    http://mommyspeanutgallery.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so creative. I wish I was one of those people that could see trash and figure out how to turn it into something beautiful!

    I'm visiting from the Mingle With Us Hop and blog at Family Musings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Indeed, it did turn out darling. And if you ever get tired of it, it can serve as a mudroom type furniture where the shoes and purses go.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job upcycling!!! I have the perfect spot in my mudroom for something like this :) Thanks SO much for linking up to Thrilling Thursday @ Paisley Passions. I hope you stop by again soon :)

    ~Lori @ Paisley Passions

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is very cute! And you will get lots of use from it! I love pieces that look good AND serve a good purpose! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. How creative!! What great re-purposing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fabulous redo..I would of never thought of that. It turned out just wonderful.

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  13. looks great. I love deocrating with initials.

    megan
    craftycpa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. You did a great job. I love how you have the X spilling over!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your bookcase bench. Great update.

    Have a God Filled Day
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  16. You made a great bench out of nothing! Wonderful make over! Thanks for joining JFF this week. Please add the link to your post, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. great makeover~ love the alphabet!

    I am having an antique auction on my blog. All sorts of lovely and romantic finds looking for a new home. I hope you'll stop by.

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! Great transformation! It looks like a completely different piece of furniture. I would never have thought to do that. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ~ Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great idea! I have the perfect, sad, about-to-die bookcase to do this with!

    ReplyDelete