Friday, March 18, 2011

Fabric Friday: Better Late than Never

I have been so busy with my sale, I just did not get a post written. Let’s just quickly review a couple of things that I had for sale this weekend.

You have all impressed me with your Pottery Barn copies and your drop cloth upholstery. So, I have completed my first drop cloth PB copy. I combined these 2 designs from Pottery barn.
PB ottoman 3 PB ottoman 4

Several months ago I found a terribly messed up ottoman at the curb. It looked like a dog had chewed the burgundy vinyl covering, but it was large and heavy and structurally sound. So I brought it home. Finally last week I was inspired to tackle it. Of course, I don’t have a before picture. I do have a during picture. vanity chair 004 vanity chair 001 vanity chair 002 
This is the bottom half. It also had a 4” thick cushion on the top. When I took it all apart, I decided that there was plenty of room to make a storage compartment. So I made a bottom and covered this as one piece. I put a 3/8” piece of plywood on the foam and covered it as another piece. Then I put on hinges to connect the top and bottom.

Here is the finished product:
Route 252 020 Route 252 021 

garage sale 032
 A storage ottoman.


   
             Pottery Barn                                   Creative Art & Design

I was also inspired by Two Succulent Sisters to make egg door decorations.
  garage sale 033 garage sale 030

This one can store Fabric Flower hair clips.
garage sale 031
Check out the Succulent Sisters.
My sale has gone fairly well.
One more day!
Let's Party!
Iron Violet Designs 504 Main Photobucket Photobucket  Photobucket Stuff and Nonsense Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special  Boogieboard Cottage                                                                                                                    UndertheTableandDreaming
   http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/    Furniture Feature Fridays  Stalk Hop Friday
Photobucket


19 comments:

  1. That turned out awesome! I love that it has storage too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful... it turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Melanie,

    How wonderful to meet you today! What amazing information you shared with me today. And I just think it's very exciting to see the ottoman featured in this post, knowing that I got to see it in person. You do amazing work.

    I look forward to following you.

    Blessings,
    Marianne

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's really beautiful!

    :)
    Marcy

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a wonderful job! They look fabulous.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, I love the stripes! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your ottoman - every bit as good as the Pottery barn one! and that egg door deco / hair clip holder is wonderful!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a great week!

    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love how you added the storage! Brilliant idea! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did a wonderful job and thanks so much for coming to my party. Please be sure to post my party button with the others:)

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it! I just bought a huge ottoman at a garage sale and I want to try to recover it. I am not even an amateur seamstress though so I am glad you put up some tips. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. melanie, that looks amazing!!! better than the inspiration- love the stripe in the center. it gives it just enough detail!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It turned out great! I love that you were able to get storage out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay that is fabulous! I am so impressed. I like yours even better because of the storage aspect to it! Great job. Thanks for sharing it with us at Inspiration Friday At The Picket Fence!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  14. she builds AND she sews! I love your ottoman! Like the stripe and the storage!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  15. That turned out great!! What a bonus that it has storage! I'd love to see exactly how it was made...

    ReplyDelete
  16. But how did you do this?! I want to copy you so bad, but have no idea where to start! How did you cover the base? How did you make the cording (I think that's what you did) on the bottom half? I'm sure you're busy but any how to would be very much appreciated!!

    ReplyDelete