Monday, March 7, 2011

Marvelous Monday: Marvelous Fireplace

We live in southeast Texas, between Houston and Galveston. There are very few cold days. If it is cold, it is way too much trouble to build a fire in the fireplace. We have lived in this house nearly 3 years and I have no ideas if the fireplace works. I’m not really sure I want to find out.

But I really do like to look of a fireplace and the mantle that I can decorate.  When we first moved into this house after hurricane Ike, the whole fireplace was dull . The mantle was tiny.
Deer 010 Deer 009
The first thing that I did was add the little shelves on the sides. I had used them at our house in Bridge City. Megan and I made them from our neighbor’s red fence that blew done in hurricane Rita.

Deer 007 our house 007

Then I made the new mantle. At one time that was a headboard. The curved boards were on a small bridge in my parent’s Japanese garden. The supports, which do not support anything, were from head board that my sister PUT IN THE TRASH!!!!!

I have moved things around a lot on and around the fireplace.
our house 013 our house 001
our house 011 

At Christmas we moved the TV to the bench so that we would have room for the tree. Then for Gary’s memorial, we moved the TV to the hearth because we needed all the seating we could find. Remember, we had 35 people for dinner.

I have decide that I really like the TV in front of the firebox. It covers that dirty black whole that is never used and it make the TV less visible. This is how I have it now.
 fireplace 004  fireplace 006
fireplace 007You will notice that we can look at our beautiful grandson while we watch TV. The picture on the mantle, the one to the right of the TV and the video frame that scrolls through pictures continuously.

Thanks for dropping by. I hope you enjoy! 

This is where I party:


 
     Photobucket  Pink Hippo Party       http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/ Photobucket
Photobucket      Photobucket 

9 comments:

  1. What a creative idea.. I love mantels and yours is very unique and looks great!
    Following you from Met Monday..
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that you reused things to build around your fireplace ! It looks fantastic! And the idea of the TV in front of the hole is just brilliant!! I remember there used to be a tv channel in Europe that just showed a roaring fireplace - that would fit perfectly!! He He!!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a great week!

    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. So different! Great Job!
    http://www.dreaming-n-color.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, what a fun idea! you are one creative "think outside the box" gal-i like it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your mantle is so creative and carries a lot of memories with it. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful mantle! I found your blog at Between Naps on the Front Porch. You have such great ideas and I'm your newest follower! I'd love it if you'd follow me back: http://stillwaterstory.blogspot.com/
    Again, you did a fantastic job with this!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a FANTASTIC project. Great idea! I would be delighted if you would link this to my VIP party today! http://designergarden.blogspot.com/2011/03/vip-party-6.html

    Cheers!
    Sommer

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a creative project!! So many possibilities...things never get dull! Thank you for sharing your great project by linking up to my blog bash K.I.S.S. @ The Tattered Tag. Please remember tomorrow is another fun blog bash, so drop by and link up more of your creativity! :)

    Drop by The Tattered Tag

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow- can't believe she would throw that away! Great job on creating such a beautiful mantel that works for you too! Thanks for linking up!!

    ReplyDelete